Monday, April 22, 2013

Playing with The King: The Eric Williams Interview


I recently had a chance to sit down with 12 year NBA veteran forward Eric Williams and he was delighted to share his experiences with Lebron James from a teammates’ perspective. The two were teammates with the Cleveland Cavaliers for the 2003-2004 season. That season was Lebron James’s rookie year and also Eric Williams’ first and only year with the team. The two grew very fond of each other on and off the court that season and they continue to maintain a healthy relationship almost a decade afterwards. Lebron has credited Williams and his mentor ship as a major contributor to his greatness.


 
Question: What’s up Eric, How has life been after the NBA?

Eric Williams: Life has been great, my kids are healthy, and I’m nice and healthy (laughing). But everything has been great; I have gained a lot of publicity because of my involvement with the VH1 hit show “Basketball Wives”.  A lot of publicity and lots of money (laughing).

 
Question: Do you miss playing in the NBA?

Eric Williams: Of course I miss it. Basketball is my life. It has opened a lot of doors that have made my life even better after the NBA. I do enjoy the extra time I have to spend with my children and watch them grow. I do love that part of life after basketball.

Question:  With the playoffs approaching and Lebron playing the best basketball of his career,  does it make you proud of the things he is accomplishing seeing that he credits you to his success because of your role as a mentor in his rookie season?

Eric Williams: Hell yeah, shouts out to my little brother Lebron. I’m not surprised at all at what Lebron is accomplishing. From the very first time I've seen him grace the basketball court, I knew he would be one of the greatest to ever do it. He works so hard and that’s what most people don’t realize, this man is always the first person in the gym or weight room and the last to leave. I met him when he was only 18 and the things he could do at that time, I just knew that if this kid stays healthy, he  would be the best ever. And look at him proving me right.

Question: So exactly how was it to play alongside of Lebron?

Eric Williams: Man, it was great. Nah, I’m lying. I hated it (laughing) he killed everybody every day at practice and he made coach always get mad at us “average” players when he was out there killing us (laughing). But seriously it was great, I am proud that he thinks so highly of me for helping him out with a few words of advice. In actuality Lebron made me better, he made everyone around him better, that’s just what superstars do.

Question:  What were a few of the major things you tried to tell Lebron about the NBA?

Eric Williams: I was just telling him he had to develop tough skin and be able to take criticism because the media can really say some hurtful things. I also advised him to watch his money and how he spends, but as rich as he is I doubt if he cared about that (laughing).  Most people don’t realize that Lebron is a smart man, all the things I told him, he already had knowledge of, I just added my personal experiences to it, to better clarify for him.

Question: Did you reach out to Lebron after his small performance in the 2011 Finals against the Dallas Mavericks?

Eric Williams: Yes I did, I called him a few weeks later and told him to keep his head up and don’t worry about the hate and to use it as motivation to come back even better the next year. And he did just that and won the championship the very next year.

Questions: Do you have any favorites or predictions on this year’s NBA Finals?

Eric Williams: Yes I do, I’m going with the Miami Heat to repeat as Champions. I predict that they will play Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Finals and I see them winning the series in 5 games with a record of 4-1. You’ll be a fool to bet against Lebron James (laughing).

It was an amazing experience to interview Eric Williams; he shared great insight on how it is to play along Lebron “The King” James. I hope this interview gives my viewers a chance to visualize the actual role of a teammate plays when playing with Lebron James. Being as though Williams played with him his rookie season, the insight is perfect as it helps to understand how Lebron got to be as successful as he is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment